Fall marks the start of soup season! What better way to kick off the season then a Hearty Butternut Squash Barley Soup. Looking for a vegan option? Simply omit the ground turkey and substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth. Enjoy!Print
Hearty Butternut Squash Barley Soup
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 7 cups water ⁄ cup barley ⁄ cup yellow split peas
- 1 leek, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper cored, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper cored, chopped
- 4 carrots, grated
- 2 cups butternut squash peeled, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash fresh ground pepper
- 1 handful parsley, chopped
- In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground turkey and cook breaking into small pieces with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Once the turkey is cooked through, add the chicken stock, water, yellow split peas and barley. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes until the split peas start to soften.
- In the meantime, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet. Add the leeks and cook stirring constantly for about 4 to 6 minutes until the leeks start to caramelize. Add the celery, yellow and red bell peppers, carrots and butternut squash and cook stirring occasionally for a couple of minutes, until the veggies start to soften.
- Transfer the veggies into the soup. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and let it cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Add the parsley and turn off the heat.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 592
- Sodium: 272 mg
- Fat: 25 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 59 g
- Fiber: 15 g
- Protein: 38 g
For other healthful recipes, check out some of my favorites: