Turmeric Rice and Beans with Cherry Tomatoes is one of my favorite recipes featured on my new meal planning program, EatLove. It is a quick and easy healthy meal! Packed with fiber and plant-based protein it is an inexpensive recipe to whip up in less than 45 minutes!
Turmeric has been researched as a powerful antioxidant. It’s active ingredient, Curcumin, is best absorbed when paired with black pepper. Luckily, this recipe has done just that!
This recipe can also be easily adjusted to create other fantastic meals. Swap out the brown rice for another healthy gain like quinoa or wild rice. Change the kidney beans to an alternative such as garbanzo beans, black beans, or even edamame! Do you have some kale laying around in your produce bin? Use this instead of the spinach and voila….a totally different flavor!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 quarts raw spinach
- 2 cups canned kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro chopped
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté onions for 4-5 minutes or until brown. Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the rice, turmeric, cumin, pepper, and vegetable broth to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low. Cover pot and simmer for 30-35 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Some broth will be remaining.
- Add the spinach to the pot, piling it over the rice. Cover the pot again to allow the spinach to steam and wilt down for 3-4 minutes. Gently stir the spinach into the rice, so that it wilts down completely. Add in the kidney beans and mix until heated through.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes per serving.
- Approximate cost: $3.14 per serving. Optional- use another whole grain like quinoa or wild rice instead of brown rice. Swap the cilantro for fresh parsley or basil. Change the kidney beans to another bean like garbanzo. These simple changes can make a brand new meal!
- Nutrition Facts per serving: 407 calories, 14g protein, 10g fat, 68g Carb, 11g fiber, 350mg sodium.
- Find out more about Nutrition Dynamix'es meal planning service here.